Saturday, February 20, 2016

Another little project near completion.

Some time ago, while test running my Corvair aircraft engine on my VP-2, I came to the realization that my fuel tank may be too low to provide adequate pressure and for the carburetor.  So..I opted to add a couple of facet pumps in series.  Now, this is all well and good but I had to monitor the fuel pressure some how.  Problems faced;

  1. I didn't want to use a steam gauge for fuel pressure
  • If there is a line rupture; fuel loss and possible fire.
  • ABSOLUTELY no pressurized fuel lines in the cockpit.
  • They are rarely accurate when dealing with low pressures.
      2. After market fuel pressure gauge and senders are outrageous in price.
      3. I needed something that can be customized.

In the end I designed my own.  I found this transducer below, simple, high burst pressure and an active sensor.

Range 0 - 5 psi (0.5VDC - 5VDC)


It's a little on the pricey side, but i liked it and it would work good for what I needed.

Next Step, the display; something small, inexpensive and dependable and made from off the shelf parts.  Arduino, custom PCB and 8X2 LCD.




In the pic above where you see the "XXXXXX", there is room to add another sensor monitor. The PCB has provisions for such a thing. From the top, the screw terminals are as follows:

  1. 12V Neg
  2. 12V Pos
  3. 5V Neg (for power to sensors)
  4. 5V Pos  "                               "
  5. Sensor Input "2"
  6. Sensor Input "1"
This is a very simple, no frill data display.  The design files for the PCB are below plus the Arduino Sketch.  Total price including the transducer, about $60.


As soon as my 3D printer gets here I will design an enclosure for it and share it also.





No comments:

Post a Comment