Sunday, February 7, 2016

Hopefully, soon, an inexpensive and simple EFIS & EIS


For the uninitiated, Electronic Flight Information System & Engine Information System.

UPDATE:
   Well....I had a big DUH!! moment earlier; instead of going through the pain of developing a cross platform application for this EFIS.  Why not just serve it from the Arduino...so this is the route the project has taken now, using HTML5 Canvas and Java Scripts.  More updates coming soon.


Some time ago, while working on my VP-2; I noticed that the cost of flight instruments is outrageous!  So, I had the idea to build my own as many of us do.  Basically, here is my outlined requirements for such a creature.
  • Simple
  • Inexpensive
  • Portable, Can be used with more than one Aircraft, Very Low Power usage < 1 Amp @ 5 VDC
  • Off the self components
  • Multiplatform
And, here is what I have so far:

Adapter to use an Arduino Mega, for Flight and Engine
8 Analog Inputs, for VDO auto sensors or Active sensors
8 Thermocouple Inputs
Tach
Airspeed
Altimeter

Now for the display; Maybe any type of computer can be used, No Tablets, currently I am using a Beagle Bone Black for development, 8" touchscreen.  The Arduino and the app use ModbusTCP for communication.

Here are screenshots of the app, both the main screen and the settings screen:



This may look big in the pictures, but on an 8" screen, it's quite small.

No comments:

Post a Comment